Sunday, May 1, 2011

May is LUPUS Awareness Month

If you've been following my blog, then you know I have lupus.  This is my journey in life.  I believe that everything happens for a reason.  And that life is as good or bad as you want to make it.  I'm choosing a blessed outlook instead of "why me". 

So bare with me, for this month will be a lot of posts about lupus.

Starting with this video:


Eduardo Xol is the Grand Marshall for the Walk for Lupus Now fundraiser.  He will actually be attending the Los Angeles walk this year in September!!  His sister has lupus.


Oh and for my avid followers of quilty things I like to make.  Here's what I made in April:
Quilt #30
size: 52"x 64"
My sister Lexanna gave me a request of everything she wanted on ONE quilt. Here's the list:
- horses
- polka dots
- teal blue
- lime green
- peace signs

Now I love a good challenge and boy was this a challenge.  I couldn't figure out how I was going to mix horses and peace signs... so I opted to make a 2-sided quilt!  I think it turned out pretty well.

Here's the back of the quilt with the peace sign material.


Quilt #31
size: 35" x 45"
Mom needed a baby blanket for a coworker who's having a little boy.  She's decorating the nursery in a jungle/safari/zoo theme.  I sure hope she likes it.  I love making baby quilts.  They are quick and totally adorable!

I also used some of the leftover material to make matching burp cloths.


Block 13 revisited. 
I decided my Little Blue Basket needed a handle.

Block 14 - Fox and Geese

Block 15 - Fort Sumter

Block 16 - White House

Block 17 - Comfort Quilt

17 blocks is all I could make out of my Civil War reproduction fabric.  I had to figure out how I was going to put this all together in one quilt.

I saw another lady make a block similar to this one.  She used different colors, but the pattern is the same. So I adopted it and made enough to put together a quilt top.

Here is my pride and joy!  Isn't she beautiful?  I haven't sewn the block together yet.  I'm wanting to make sure this is the layout I want to go with, but I think it's going to be fantastic!  I just love it!
Stay tuned for the finished product.


A side project I pick up when I'm watching a movie or I just feel like doing some handi-work.  My sweet Aunt Mary and cousin Becky, picked out this beautiful butterly printed quilt block set.  I've been S L O W L Y making progress on this. 

Hand sewing really is hard on my arthritic fingers... I'm only able to do a little bit at a time.  But I do love how this is turning out.  Not sure how I'm going to put this quilt together. 

There are 12 blocks exactly like this one to be sewn.  Haven't decided if I want to put sashing in between the block or sew the block together and leave it all white... suggestions?  If I should put a sashing in between the blocks, what color would you choose?

Hope you all are having a "feeling good" kind of day this 1st of May!

4 comments:

  1. 2 thoughts: the civil war fabric quilt is awesome and the filler block you're using is perfect. The pattern we started with for the picnic quilt was a similar civil war sampler with that type of filler block.
    I would use lavender sashing with green cornerstones matching the fabric to the embroidery thread. But definatly get Lori K's opinion because she's the expert on putting together embroidery blocks in creative ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda! Awesome input, I like your idea of lavender with green cornerstones. Should I use solid fabrics or find something with a print?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What if you did the sashing so it looked like a trellis design where the fabrics appear to undulate? Kind of like a woven basket. Now, when do you find time to piece????? You are wonderfully talented, and I am amazed I can call you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the trellis idea! Do you have a pattern for that Belinda?

    I found that sleep is optional! :) heheheh - actually we don't have cable television, we got rid of it a while back... and I spend most of my evenings working on quilts... far more productive for me at least.

    ReplyDelete