The night before a doctor's appt is always a tough one.
Lots of anxiety.
I can't sleep.
I can't eat.
I can't relax.
I'm edgy, nervous, cranky and bowing my head in prayer frequently through the night into the wee hours of the morning. Asking God to please let tomorrow go well.
And though I read my Bible for comfort, while everyone else is asleep, and have committed several verses to memory, one of them being:
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:6-7).
My mind still goes in a million different directions, with a million different questions:
What will my wbc level be?
- Higher than 4.3 x10^9/L and things are looking great.
- Lower than 2.3 x10^9/L and the doctor is not going to be happy and we're going to have to try another combination of drugs/dosages.
- How will my body respond to this?
- My normal is anywhere from 1.8 to 2.5 x10^9/L - this is incredibly low and has great side effects on how I feel on a daily basis. Not to mention how susceptible I am to getting sick. Germs are a big concern for me because of this. One cough, one sneeze, could make me very ill, even hospitalized. My immune system is so weak because of the lupus and the medications I take to control my lupus.
- Lower than 4 x10^12/L and 12 g/dL and I'm anemic
- my "normal" range since lupus, is around 3.7 x10^12/L and 10 g/dL
- I've been anemic for 4 years
- Last October there were over 3 grams of protein spilling in my urine... not good
- Ketones
- blood
- Epitheleal cells
- casts
- bacteria
- crystals
- wbc's
- rbc's
- I've had all of these, sometimes periodically, sometimes all at once
What will my SED RATE be?
- Hoping for less than a 20 mm/HR, means lupus activity is low.
If my blood work shows that everything is fine, can we LOWER some of my meds?
What medications do I need refills for?
What things have bothered me since my last doctor's appt?
Then I worry about the effect this has on Emma, she usually goes with me.
- Does she, being that she's not 2 yet, understand anything that is going on?
- Will she grow up thinking its totally normal to go to the doctors every 4-5 weeks?
- Am I harming her by taking her, or preparing her for what very well could be in her future?
- About 5% of children born to individuals with lupus will develop the illness. At present, there is no genetic screening test that can determine who might go on to develop lupus later in life.
- If I get less than positive results from the doctor, will I be able to be strong in front of her and hold back my tears for when she is taking a nap? Dear God, please give me positive results.
- When I was told last October about Stage 4 Lupus Nephritis (kidney failure), I broke down. Right there in the office. Emma was there sitting in the chair beside the table I was sitting on.
- I cried.
- I cried out of fear.
- I cried for her.
- I cried out of ignorance of what it all meant.
- I cried because I immediately thought of my beautiful cousin Diane and how her kidneys shut down 2 weeks before she passed away... yeah, my mind went there... it always does when my doctor tells me that another organ has been attacked.
- I cried because I was crying at the doctor's office. =)
- It was a very emotional day and even though the below photo was NOT taken on that day, this is the look I saw on her face.
I'm usually pretty good at keeping my emotions in check until she takes a nap or Brian gets home. But sometimes, I am weak and break down
Let's all just pray for good results and then I won't have to worry about Emma seeing how scared I can get.
My appt is not until the afternoon, I think Emma and I will enjoy a nice long walk in the morning and maybe (weather permitting) have a picnic lunch.
“Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and he will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5-6).


I think you are a very strong woman. I think that by taking Emma to your appointments with you, you are being honest with your child. I know she is young, but I think her growing up knowing that not everyday with Lupus is an easy/good day is something that she needs to know (even at her young age). She obviously isn't going to understand all of the numbers and details of the appt. I think it is ok for her to know that Mommy can be sad too. Like I have told you before from what I can see on FB she is very intelligent. I'm sure whether you cry in front of her or not, she can probably sense that not everything is perfect when you have an off day. I don't have a child, but I believe that not everything comes up roses, and it's ok for children to learn the feelings of sadness, loss, and so on to prepare them for the real world that not everything is perfect. I know you want her life to be a perfect and as"normal" as possible. It is a parent's job to protect their children, and you do a great job of that I'm sure. You just need to remember that you are creating a well-balanced child. I think as long as she knows you love her, all will be fine, no matter what the outcome is. Another Bible verse that comes to mind after writing this "And now faith, hope, and love abide, but the greatest of these is love" I think you are an awesome parent. In your fundraising skills you are also teaching her determination. I will say a little prayer for you today that your doctor's appt. has results that you can celebrate with your little angel :)
ReplyDeleteMarissa
Will be thinking of you today and hope you have positive results on all of your tests. (((hugs)))
ReplyDelete~Sam
I'm with you all day today. Keep the faith!
ReplyDeleteLove you bunches!
Mom/Gramma Barb