Thursday, February 21, 2013

I start my new job on 1 March!

Ever since Emma was born, Brian and I have talked about our kids' education. 
 
 Do we want to send them to
 
public school?
 
private Christian school? 
 
or
 
 homeschool them?
 
 
******
 
The decision to send Emma to preschool was two-fold:
 
1.  We wanted to see how she would handle social situations.  Being that she'd only been home with me, we wanted to expose her to sharing, waiting her turn, standing in lines, using her manners, helping others, things that we couldn't do with just the mommy groups or hanging out with me all day.
 
2.  We were not sure how post pregnancy was going to go.  All of my doctors were preparing us for the worst, so we thought if she was at preschool during the day, she wouldn't notice Mommy not doing so well.  But I'm happy to say that I have surpassed even my most optimistic doctors expectations on how well and how quickly I've bounced back.  (Praise God)
 
So now that Emma has had 6 months of preschool, we are faced with the same question.  Do we continue with it or bring her home.
 
And after many, many, many, MANY long conversations, we've decided to
homeschool!
 
I know Brooklyn.
I was just as shocked as you when I realized that is what we have decided! 
 
I think Brooklyn is fearing this may be in her future: 
 
 
Especially after I tried to get a photo of them together last week and this was the best one.
 
It'll be okay Brooklyn, I'll protect you.
 
******
 
I don't think sending Emma to preschool was bad at all.  She learned a lot there as far as socializing and interacting with other kids of different ages.  She also learned how to write the entire upper and lower case alphabet, read full sentences, count well into the thousands, and several practical life skills.
 
But we've had some issues with the preschool that I just can't overlook any longer.  Brian and I feel it is best to continue her education at home with me.  I'm not sure how many grades we will homeschool her.  Right now we are going to take it one year at a time.  I figured preschool was a good year to *test the waters*. 
 
And I am a full supporter of the Montessori method, Emma seems to respond very well to this teaching style.  So I plan on emulating it as best as I can from home. 

Dr. Montessori was an innovator.  An educator well ahead of her time.  And with the Internet, there are so many free resources out there to help me provide activities for both girls, without costing a lot.  Most of the stuff I can make myself. 
 
I plan on starting a separate blog to track our journey.  I'll share the link once I have it up and running.   But for now, let me show you some cool things I've made for Emma this week.
 
******
 
FELT WEAVING
Found the idea from this link HERE

Used up some of my scrap pieces of felt.  Sewed one end down then cut the other end into 1 inch strips.  Then just have her weave them together.

So neat to see Emma figure out which piece goes over or under.
 
SPELLING
Found the idea from this link HERE
(This is also a great site for homeschooling ideas.) 
I just used the refrigerator magnets that my Mom bought for Emma and wrote common words on a big piece of paper.  She loves finding and matching up the right letters to spell the words.
 
PHONICS FLIP BOOK
Possibly my favorite! Found the idea from this link HERE 
Just took a regular index card spiral book.  Cut each page into thirds, then wrote the alphabet in each column.  Montessori uses red for consonants and blue for vowels and since Emma was already familiar with that set up, I did the same. 
 
This is so great because it easily goes with us in the car, at the restaurant, at church.  Great for her to sound out the letters to form words.  And even though some of the letter combinations do not actually make words like E-T-N... she just practices the sounds each one makes.  Then giggles because she knows it doesn't actually make a word.

I also included some blended sounds like, "ck" "st" "sh" "ch" and "th" on the end flaps so she can practice those sounds too.
 
******
 
And since she'll be home with me now, I'm eager to start teaching her how to play the piano!!!  I went and bought this 5.5 foot tall poster and hung it up by our piano!  Right now she just plays around on the keys, but hopefully soon, I can get her interested in learning how to read sheet music!

I think I started taking lessons from Uncle Jim around 5 or 6 years old.  But I didn't take them very long.  He got sick and I either lost interest or I'd learned enough to figure out how to play the songs I wanted.  Later in junior high I took lessons again for about a year.  But really, once you learn how to read music, you can play just about anything with enough practice.  I'm hoping Emma will like playing the piano.
 
******
 
I'm very excited about this new venture in our journey of parenting.  I'm nervous and haven't got it all figured out yet how I want to do it. 
 
I know I do NOT want to do the traditional "classroom" style of teaching.  And I definitely want to provide her with plenty of socializing opportunities.
 
I plan on taking lots of field trips, utilizing the local attractions such as the zoo, aquarium, museum and performing arts center to teach her about things.  I also want to teach her things that she may not learn in school.  Like baking, shopping at the grocery store, healthy eating, volunteering, household chores, tithing, etc.  Hope to utilize some local businesses to help me show her *how things work/run* like the post office, fire department, maybe even the cupcake shop! YUM! 
 
Big thank you to those who have been so encouraging about this decision.  And for giving me lots of great ideas of how to actually accomplish this. 
 
I welcome any and all advice on this matter.  Please feel free to leave suggestions (and/or lots of encouragment) in the comment section, as I'm always learning and willing to try new things! 

So wish us luck as we dive right in on our latest and greatest family fun!
Preschool at home starts 1 March!

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful! You already teach her so much at home, you will do great. Emma will love it and Brooklyn will pick up on things faster watching big sis. And you know ... Pinterest has got your back. ;)

    You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very proud of you! I wish you well and cannot wait to see what you accomplish next! you are an awesome mom! Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have made a great decision and will make a great teacher. You already are a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bev, I think you will be a great teacher! And the piano is great....I remember showing up to your house & hearing you playing when i was coming up your street!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I know it is the right thing for you to do Bev. You will never be sorry. So proud of you. And, I see field trips in your future!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the best Bev! She is already off to a great start which she got from you and Brian!! She is one lucky girl and will thrive. I have been really happy with Matthew's education in public school but also sometimes I feel they teach so much to take state testing. They miss the life skills they need. I am lucky my kid loves to learn on his own, like build a computer, teaching himself guitar and starting to learn sign language (YouTube isn't all bad lol)! I think you will do wonderful!!! We had neighbors that homeschooled and what I really liked was she would spend a month say on Egypt and all subject related to that country. It was quite amazing! You are awesome Bev and Emma is lucky to have such a wonderful teacher!!! Lots of love, Kathy

    ReplyDelete