Session 1 is in the books.
It went better than I think any of us expected. I give all the credit to Brian and our live in nanny for the week. Between the two of them, I did not have to lift a finger.
Even my nephrologist commented on the phone, saying, "You are one tough lady! I've never had a patient handle week 1 this well."
So that made me feel very hopeful that by the end of all of these sessions, I will be able to get back to what I've become accustomed to as my "normal" self. There were a few new developments in my labs and my doctor had to put me on two MORE medications to hopefully get them under control. But overall, I'd say session 1 went well. Only, 5 more to go...
I received some really special and perfectly timed texts and emails on my first day of treatment and it made the whole scary situation just a little easier to handle. I don't think anything had really hit me until Brian and I walked through the chemo doors at the hospital and I saw all the other patients already hooked up or getting hooked up.
An overwhelming sense of, "things are about to get real" came over me and I started to think,
"I'm too young for this."
"Why me?"
"Hasn't 8 years of fighting this disease been hard enough, now this too?"
I know they say "God doesn't give us more than we can handle" ... and I certainly love a challenge, but boy a little break here and there would be nice too.
So, thank you, dear friends and family, for texting me on Monday and making sure I didn't stay in my pity party too long. It really meant a lot to me.
My next session is in a week, the doctors and nurses have said this session is usually harder on patients than the first, because now the chemo drug is starting to build up in my system, I'll probably notice more hair falling out, more fatigue, overall weakness, and general lack of "umph".... but I say,
I GOT THIS.
**********
Being this week is Valentine's week, I did not want the girls to miss out on a very special tradition that Brian has started.
He treats each girl to their own Daddy-Daughter Valentine's date.
The girls get all dressed up in whatever Princess dress they want, then he rings the doorbell, with flowers in hand, and takes them out for a very special evening.
It is about the sweetest thing to watch. And I did not want my health to keep them from enjoying that.
So Brooklyn went on her date, Tuesday night. She chose Snow White. How precious are these photos?
Can you stand the cuteness!
Emma decided she wanted to be Queen Elsa (probably no surprise to any of you out there with a girl about Emma's age. LoL) However, we did not have a Queen Elsa dress, so Emma's Fairy Godmother whipped one together this week! And it came together beautifully!
And THAT is why he is the best husband and father ever!
This week ended on an even bigger note for Emma. She has been working very hard on her Taekwondo skills and Friday she tested for her first ever belt! All week long, I told Brian I WILL be at her test. So he made sure I was able to go and watch my sweet, precious, kind-hearted daughter, totally ROCK her belt test!
Getting in a few practice moves before the testing starts.
This photo just cracks me up.
Getting some encouragement from Mrs. Master Phillips.
This lady is so awesome and such a great role model for any little girl. Emma really enjoys her training time with Mrs. Master Phillips
Last minute advice.
Emma was called onto the floor first. I wish you all could have seen the confidence she had. She stood in front of a panel of 10 BLACK BELT judges. And never waivered or fidgeted or cracked her voice. She responded with the appropriate "Yes Ma'am/Sir" to each question they asked her. And just acted like she totally had this! I was so proud of her for her composure!
Look at my big girl!
SHE PASSED!!!!
Her belt ceremony will be this Wednesday!
I can't even begin to put into words how very proud I am of this amazing child.
THAT's my girl!
I wish I could thank you all individually for all the cards, care packages, special Valentine's packages sent to the girls, and just the outpouring of sweet, sweet emails. I can't tell you how much it helps. I read them, usually mentally respond, then forget to actually respond. But I hope to get back to each and every one of you to let you know how much I appreciate it.
And a little message to that nasty little, chronic illness that I've been battling with for the greater part of the last decade, you should know something!













When the devil threw this nasty illness at you, I truly believe God gave Emma and Brooklyn to you to even out the score....the Devil just didn't understand the power of great parents and prayer warriors!! 1st session down and you fought it with the grace we have come to love about you! I hereby crown Brian and Bev parents of the decade among other reasons, but how many mothers can juggle what Bev does, and I am pretty sure the princess dates would be enough to make Brian a winner, but there is so much more to this love story than I can imagine! Thanks for having the courage to fight this fight so publicly and let us grow and learn with you....and your prayer warriors in Illinois arre standing strong behind you. Hugs and Prayers everyday!!! Tracy
ReplyDeleteI have an app on my phone that gives me a verse for the day. Today's verse is:
ReplyDelete"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength". Phil 4:13 May you feel His spirit strengthening you today and through the coming weeks. Continuing to pray trusting in His goodness. Gentle hugs, Patty
P.S. Your husband and girls ARE amazing. They are God's gifts to you to keep you going through the trials. Your pictures and stories warm my heart and put a smile on my face every time! Emma looks soooo grown up at her test!
ReplyDeleteGod is good.
Another favorite scripture of mine is from Psalm 50:15 which says, "call upon me in the day of trouble, I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me". He is the source of our spiritual and physical strength as we trust in Him. My prayers are with you and your family. Joyce :)
ReplyDelete