Session #7 is done.
I wish I had great news to report, but unfortunately, my body is continuing to show us just how stubborn it can be. After reviewing my labs with the doctor, we are all quite confused.
In short:
- my complement levels have started falling again
- I'm spilling MORE protein
- my white blood cells are not dropping like they should, even though we've increased the chemo and decreased the prednisone
My doctor even called the oncology pharmacist at the hospital to double check that they are in fact giving me the triple dose instead of the original dose. Pharmacist confirmed, yes, I am receiving the correct dose.
All the doctor could say was that I must have very robust bone marrow.
I guess in a perfect world, that would be a really great thing. But when we are trying to suppress my immune system, it's kind of frustrating.
I always joke with Brian that I'm the "healthiest sick person". I have been gluten free for 18 months now, I've been artificial sweetner free for 6 months now. I don't smoke. I don't drink. I follow my doctors orders... I just can't seem to get my kidneys to function properly.
Doctor feels that the 7 sessions that I've already had, are not enough. I will keep going once a month at the triple dose until we figure this out. We have come too far to give up on these treatments now.
So from the great Louis Zamperini,
"Never Give Up.
No matter what."
If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it!
What an amazing story.
What an amazing example of perseverance!
On a lighter note, my nurse for this session was a dose of PURE AWESOMENESS!
After awkwardly staring at him for the first half hour, I finally asked him if he has ever been told he looks like Richard Dreyfuss.
And he just got this big smile on his face and said, "Have you ever seen 'What about Bob?'"
And then proceeds to tell us a story of a previous patient referring to him as "Dr. Leo Marvin"
Oh, he was a hoot!
And quite possibly my favorite nurse yet!
As far as how the session went, it was about the same. My veins are very flat, fragile, and difficult to stick an IV in, so after searching for quite a while in my right arm, he switched to my left arm. None looked that great, but he found one he thought he could use, if I would agree to skip the lidocaine to prevent the vein from flattening anymore. I said sure, I'm so used to being poked by a needle that it doesn't bother me anymore. So we forego the numbing medication and he was able to put the needle in as flat as possible without busting my vein.
"Dr. Leo Marvin", you are officially my favorite nurse. LoL - there wasn't even a bruise afterwards either!
I felt achy, nauseous, and tired for the first 3-4 days, but now that a week has gone by, I feel about as good as I normally do. My next session is scheduled for Friday, 12 June.
*****
A little update on the girls:
Emma has earned another belt in taekwondo:
She looks so small standing up there with everyone else!
Reminds me of this quote by Shakespeare:
She definitely is!
SO proud of this girl!
And of course there's no shortage of silliness going on around here!
Always my jokester! I love her sense of humor and playful attitude.
She makes my heart smile from the inside out.
And she plays a mean game of Twister!
After school one day, I surprised the girls with loaded squirt guns! They couldn't wait to get outside and try them out.
If you've been to our house, you know we have an entire wall dedicated to dress up clothes, hats, capes, scarves, jewelry and all things that glitter! These two LOVE putting on costumes and transforming our toy room into a whole new world.
A new adventure, everyday.
I've had a few people ask me about my quilt stars that I've been posting alongside my photo. So here is a photo of the whole quilt in all its glory. I love how it looks like a stained glass window when it's hanging from our back patio doors.
Currently measures: 74" x 62"
Completed stars: 170
I started this project back in November of 2012 and have added stars to it as things happen in our lives. Each star is hand-sewn and has the location and date of where and when I completed that star. The last 100 or so, I've been drawing in the middle of the star. A memory quilt if you will. I'm thinking about 90 more stars and it should be about the right size.
Thank you all for wearing Purple last Friday! I saw so many posts on Facebook and received texts and emails of you all in your purple! What an incredible show of support! Thank you thank you thank you! Even Brian wore a purple shirt!
He said while he was walking around the hospital, a few people commented on how much they liked his shirt. heheheheh - I don't know if they understood WHY he was wearing it, but I thought it was pretty cute that it was getting noticed.
Hope everyone is doing well.
Hope you all have a good weekend.
Remember that its not just about getting a day off of work or having a barbeque in the backyard with friends and family.
But to honor those who gave all they had,
for us to enjoy all that we have.
Freedom is not free.
There's always a price.














(((((((((((((((((((((Bev)))))))))))))))))))))))))
ReplyDeleteHugs to you!