Hello everyone!
Checking in from the beautiful Pacific Northwest.
"Look at all those trees!!!!"
We are getting settled in and really falling in love with this place. I don't think we realized how much we missed seeing trees.
When we were driving up here, Emma kept saying, "Mom! Look at all those trees!"
The move has gone pretty well, we had a few bumps along the way.
Like our car getting broken into,
Brian's flight gear getting stolen,
my sewing machine getting stolen,
some of our documents getting stolen - which resulted in us being victims of identity theft - not fun!
HOWEVER,
no one was hurt,
our bank put an immediate hold on our money so we never lost a dime,
the moving company took very good care of our stuff
AND
we were in our new house before Christmas!
PLUS, Santa brought me a new sewing machine. Win-Win!
Isn't she pretty? And the view is great too! More trees!!!
As for a medical update, I think it's too early too tell how well this is working out. But I'm on a mission. I've done a lot of research about how diet effects the immune system and I've embarked on a scientific journey. I've committed to eating a fairly strict Paleo diet for the next 6 months.
I know it's all the rage right now in the dieting/lifestyle change world, but after researching it and reading some blogs of people with autoimmune diseases, I'm convinced it's worth my best effort.
This blog in particular:
made the biggest impact on my decision.
So what is Paleo?
This diet is based on eating food that cavemen would have been able to find. Here is a good breakdown:
Basically,
Do I think it's a cure... no. But having been completely GRAIN FREE since 19 Dec (that's right, no breads, pasta, rice, cereal, cookies, cakes, doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, etc...), I can already tell it is helping. I have noticed less water retention, less joint pain, and a few pounds gone from the scales. Which is enough to keep me motivated to see it through.
At the top of my blog page, just under the title, I added a counter. It displays how many days I've had lupus. I'm hoping to add a second counter below that. Which will count how many days I've been in remission.
Wish me luck!!! (feel free to leave me lots of encouragement along the way!)
And how are the girls doing you ask?
Wonderful!
We have a great park nearby with some really big slides. And the first time Emma went down it she came out of the bottom too fast and landed on her bottom. Got scared and wouldn't go back down it. So I talked to her and encouraged her to keep saying, "I CAN go down the big slide. I CAN do it." After awhile, Brian went up to her room to see if she was okay and he said she was up there looking in her mirror, giving herself a little pep talk. Repeating, "I CAN go down the big slide."
I didn't think she actually took it to heart what I was saying, but she came downstairs again and said she wanted to try the big slide at the park now.
So we headed back to the park.
We kept waiting...and waiting.. and waiting.
Brian said he could hear her whispering at the top of the slide,
"I CAN do this. I CAN go down the big slide."
Then the next thing we knew... she came down and had the biggest smile on her face!
I was SO proud of her! So was Brooklyn!
I saw this idea on Pinterest of how to save a little bit of money each week of the year, then at the end of the year you have a nice little stash of cash to spend.
Emma says she wants to spend it on buying Christmas gifts for everyone. I told her that sounded like a great idea to me!
She's also been decorating my refrigerator with lots of colorful paintings!
And her and I have a very exciting trip coming up at the end of January!!!! We are going to DC to celebrate my niece, Zoe's, first birthday!!! Emma is beyond giddy about this trip. Especially since it will be just the two of us.
She's been marking X's on the calendar and counting the days!!!
We are going to do a little bit of sight seeing too! I've never been to DC either, so this should be a really fun adventure!
Brookie Broo has been keeping busy as well.
Getting Daddy to zip her around the living room in her shopping cart...
... and getting stuck in her chair.
Whew! That was a LONG post. Thanks for making it all the way through!!
Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and is as excited for 2014 as we are!




Sounds like you are all settled in and enjoying life . Emma , congratulations on conquering the big slide. Those pictures on the refrigerator look beautiful . brooklyn you are getting so big . Have a great week look forward to future posts . Love Grandma Jill
ReplyDeleteThanks Mom Knaup! We can't wait to show you around this summer!
DeleteWe can't wait to have you guys here too! Great update--hope the diet works as well for you as you're hoping! Love, Derek, Andi, Zoe and Diet Coke :-)
ReplyDeleteWonderful update! Pack some great walking shoes for DC and be sure to layer. When you enter buildings, be sure to look up! The ceilings are BEAUTIFUL! Have fun with Derek and Family! Emma's bedding is cute! Glad you all are settling into you new home/town.
ReplyDeleteGREAT JOB, EMMA! I just knew you could go down that big slide again! You are so brave! Very proud of you!
Welcome to 2014! (And thank you for blogging!)
Love to all, Lori
Thank you Lori! Can you meet us in DC???? We could visit Elizabeth Keckley's house together!
Deleteloved the pictures the trees really are magnificent! I can't wait to plan an adventure with you there!! The part that touched my heart most was imagining emma's tiny little musical voice whipering encouragements. Love you guys!
ReplyDeleteThanks Alisa! I was so proud of her for the positive self talk and for overcoming her fear of the big slide. Button popping proud!
DeleteLooks like you are settling in nicely. Nice Santa gift. So sorry to hear about your break in. Where was that? My kids had a bunch of stuff stolen from their car while on a Vancouver on a trip. Makes you so darn mad. Are you going to be home schooling again? Have fun in DC>
ReplyDeleteOur car was in a hotel parking lot in Renton/Tukwila area. Right at the beginning of December. But luckily nothing irreplaceable was stolen.
DeleteAs for homeschooling, my ever social butterfly, is BEGGING to go to Kindergarten. And since the school that she would go to is ranked 10 out 10, we feel good about letting her go. I am sad that she is going to school next fall, but I think keeping her home with me would be for selfish reasons. She thrives on interacting with other little kids.
At least this will allow me some wonderful one on one time with Brooklyn and I can start with some beginner Montessori activities with her while Emma is at school. And Kindergarten up here is only half day. Which I like too.
Thanks for checking the blog!!! :)
I am so glad to hear all is going well for you guys! We hope to get out there to visit you sometime! And I love that everything seems to be falling into place. It sounds like God has really been paving the way for you. Love you guys!
ReplyDelete